Winter 2014-2015 was the first winter back in Virginia since my 7 winters in Cyprus. And woah, has my skin changed! I was totally unprepared for the 3 months of “true” winter (February was brutal!). Cold, blustery winds, and little sunshine turned my naturally olive-colored complexion looking ruddy and dull. In Cyprus, aesthetics was a newly growing business (and, like all women with disposable income, it was a fast-growing business!). But I didn’t want to shell out the cash for facials and masks, especially if they were using product names that I wasn’t familiar with. It just wasn’t happening.
So I followed suit with my ancestry, and found local, organic products from the earth that, when applied to face or the skin, made it GLOW. I find it *hilarious* that there’s a new “Greek yogurt” facial movement going on now. Greek yogurt has been used to remedy a multitude of skin problems for centuries, including eczema, sunburns, anti-wrinkle, and (the horror) yeast infections! It’s a great probiotic treat for your entire body.
Here’s a great mask that I use to slosh off dead skin and then give it a rosy, moist glow:
OATMEAL PEELING MASK
- 3 Tablespoons Oatmeal
- 1 cup hot water
- In a large bowl, pour a cup of hot water over oatmeal to soften it. massage into your skin for about 5 minutes in circular motions. Rinse off with warm water.
- Follow with the below Greek yogurt + honey mask
MOISTURIZING YOGURT + HONEY MASK
- 3 Tablespoons probiotic-filled Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Organic, raw honey
- Mix all in a small bowl. After washing your skin with the Oatmeal Peeling Mask, apply a thin layer of the Moisturizing yogurt and honey mask onto face.
- Lie comfortably, and feel the yogurt soothe red, raw skin
- Rinse with warm water
Your skin will be so soft, smooth and supple after the oatmeal peel and yogurt mask. The best part? Any leftovers can be eaten! Bon Appetit!